The Benefits of Telemedicine
Based on analysis from sources including the Department of Health & Human Services and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Internet Innovation Alliance has identified 10 significant benefits of telemedicine, eHealth and health IT, listed below:
10 Benefits of Health IT
- Enables more informed decision making and enhanced quality of care.
- Saves lives through remote consultations, whether urgent or diagnostic.
- Creates more efficient, convenient and potentially more cost effective delivery of care.
- Facilitates earlier – and more accurate – diagnoses.
- Provides greater, and faster, access to a patient’s medical history, reducing the risk of negative drug interactions or poor response to a course of treatment.
- Improves administrative efficiency and coordination.
- Allows rural residents to receive expert diagnosis and treatment from distant medical centers.
- Increases timeliness of treatment and decreases transfer rates while reducing medical costs through video technology.
- Supports real-time treatment by first responders through the use of wireless devices.
- Enhances senior wellness and preventative care through telemedicine and remote in-home monitoring.
To view sourcing for the “10 Benefits of Health IT,” visit http://internetinnovation.org/library/special-reports/telemed-infographic/.
The IIA today convened experts to explore the benefits of telemedicine, eHealth and health IT, particularly for rural communities in America. The discussion addressed the impact of expanded next-generation mobile broadband, which is crucial to Rural America being able to take advantage of health care technologies. For a list of participants and to listen to the dialogue, visit http://internetinnovation.org/press-room/broadband-news-press-releases/iia-teleconference-audio-july-28th-2011/.
“High-speed Internet puts quality health care, a life-changing benefit, in reach,” said IIA Co-Chair Bruce Mehlman. “Particularly for Americans that do not call an urban area home, expanding high-speed mobile broadband will, for example, provide greater emergency access to 911.”
For more information, visit http://www.internetinnovation.org/.
About The Internet Innovation Alliance
The Internet Innovation Alliance is a broad-based coalition supporting broadband availability and access for all Americans including underserved and rural communities. It aims to ensure every American, regardless of race, income or geography, has access to this critical tool. The IIA seeks to promote public policies that leverage the power of entrepreneurs and the market to achieve universal broadband availability and adoption.
Source: Business Wire